Some projects Charles has had a major role in:
Administrative data / Integrated Data Infrastructure (IDI)
- Coordinating several analysts working on ‘Investment Approach for Justice’ in 2016 (one of the largest projects using the IDI to that date)
- Sentencing analysis: A series of 4 related papers quantifying major changes in sentencing over the last 10 years and estimating impact on employment and re-offending.
- Reviewing the Differentiated Service Model of service delivery for The Correspondence School (with Kate McKegg, Nan Wehipeihana & Judy Oakden)
- Qualitative evaluation of pilot change management programme at Auckland Prison (‘Right Track’).
- Leading an ACNielsen research team working together with social marketers, health behaviour specialists, and a structural equation modeller in a large psycho-behavioural segmentation project involving over 8000 respondents (SPARC/Cancer Society Obstacles to Action Study)
- Review of older driver crash statistics for the Ministry of Transport (which helped to end a long-running dispute between Grey Power and the Land Transport Safety Authority about interpretation of these statistics).
Large/complex survey management and analysis
- NZ Crime & Safety Survey: face-to-face nationwide using CAPI/CASI, n>5000, exceptionally complex questionnaire. Led fieldwork supply in 2006, provided technical advice in 2009 & 2014.
- Discrete choice/tradeoff analysis of choices between transport mode in 4-year study funded by the Foundation for Research, Science & Technology